The mission of Southern California Children’s Museum (SCCM) is to cultivate a child’s wonder, stimulate curiosity, and motivate learning through interactive exhibits, creative experiences and dramatic play, all while promoting the diverse cultures of Southern California. We accomplish this by curating inspiring learning and play spaces for families, and by supporting the educational needs of children in Los Angeles County with high-quality programming. Are you interested in joining our team? See below for current openings!
Post Date: June 17, 2022
The Executive Director, as the key strategic and operational leader, is responsible for overseeing the administration, programs, fundraising, strategic plan and financial management of the organization. This position reports to the Board of Directors (BOD). The Executive Director is responsible for planning, implementing and supervising all activities including but not limited to fundraising, office and museum operations and employee staffing. The Executive Director drafts strategies for implementation of programming, financial and marketing goals as well as balancing a budget. The Executive Director represents the museum to the community at large and within the museum and education fields.
- 2+ years management experience
- Bachelor’s Degree required from a four-year accredited institution, graduate-level degree preferred
- Personal alignment with and passion for SCCM’s mission and values
- Transparent and high integrity leadership
- Experience in fundraising and campaign management
- Strong communication skills and interpersonal skills
- Familiarity with nonprofit sector
The Executive Director is responsible for ensuring sound strategic positioning and the execution of SCCM’s mission.
- Develop and monitor an annual Development Plan that includes achievable goals and adheres to the annual budget’s income objectives
- Develop SCCM’s Major Gifts program and expand donor relationships
- Meet prospective donors and supporters on a continual basis to establish effective communication and ensure long-term commitments for donations
- Manage and improve the efficiency of the fundraising database
- Maintain gift recognition program and oversee the release of an Annual Report
- Monitor trends in the community and region and adapt fundraising strategies as necessary
- Support the Director of Grants and Foundation Relations in identifying and securing new grants
Staff Management (20%)
- Foster a culture that attracts, retains, develops and motivates a high-quality, professional team
- Ensure effective scheduling, ordering, planning, and general operations
- Work with Museum Manager to ensure effective implementation of high-quality educational programs that are meeting community need
- Oversee annual staff performance reviews and goal-setting; conduct reviews, address performance or team issues in a timely manner, if necessary
External Relations and Representation (10%)
- Represent SCCM at events related to appropriate business and educational groups locally
- Speak publicly about SCCM and our impact
- Serve as the organization’s spokesperson for the media
- Participate in regular meetings of the Office of the Young Child and other early childhood education meetings
Strategic Planning (10%)
- Assure that SCCM has a long-term strategy that works toward achieving its mission and guides the organization in making consistent and timely progress
- See that the Board of Directors reviews and updates the strategic plan on an annual basis
Financial Management (5%)
- Oversee all financial matters of SCCM
- Develop and track budgets to align with annual operating plan goals
- Report budget variance to the BOD
- Ensure fundraising meets operating needs
Board Management (5%)
- Communicate effectively with the BOD and provide, in a timely and accurate manner, all information necessary for the Board to function properly and make informed decisions
Interested applicants, please email a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org and reference “Executive Director Opportunity” in the subject line.
Are you a student looking to fulfill community service hours? Do you love working with children or want to learn more about non-profit organizations? Reach out to us to see what volunteer opportunities we have available! Send an email to email@example.com and reference “Volunteer Opportunities” in the subject line.