The mission of Southern California Children’s Museum (SCCM) is to cultivate a child’s wonder, stimulate curiosity, and motivate learning through interactive exhibits, creative experiences and dramatic play, all while promoting the diverse cultures of Southern California. We accomplish this by curating inspiring learning and play spaces for families, and by supporting the educational needs of children in Los Angeles County with high-quality programming. Thank you for your interest in SCCM.
The mission of Southern California Children’s Museum (SCCM) is to cultivate a child’s wonder, stimulate curiosity, and motivate learning through interactive exhibits, creative experiences and dramatic play, all while promoting the diverse cultures of Southern California. We accomplish this by curating inspiring learning and play spaces for families, and by supporting the educational needs of children in Los Angeles County with high-quality programming. Are you interested in joining our team? See below for current openings!
MUSEUM FLOOR TEAM MEMBER
Part-Time/Non-exempt. Compensation commensurate with experience. Immediate start date.
Responsible for greeting and orienting visitors, ensuring safety and security, attending to the care and comfort of visitors, maintaining the form and function of exhibits and props, and providing visitor information and support in a manner designed to ensure that the visitor’s experience at the Museum is a positive one. Weekday and weekend availability is required.
This position requires excellent collaboration skills. It requires constant communication with the Guest Services Program Lead other departments, volunteers, interns, and specialty vendors. The applicant must be organized and able to multi-task.
- Bachelor’s degree in education or human services preferred
- Experience in ECE/education/child development preferred
- Bilingual preferred
- Readiness to respond to emergency situations in a calm and comforting manner
- Experience working in a fast-paced, high-traffic, public environment
- Excellent customer service and communication skills both internally and externally
- Flexible schedule
- Ability to stand for up to 8 hours and lift up to 50 pounds
- Strong attention to detail and ability to efficiently manage multiple tasks
- Orient guests to the Museum, answer questions and provide general museum information
- Process admissions and memberships
- Work cross-departmentally with other Museum employees in order to meet high customer service, camp, classes, and exhibit goals
- Comply with all exhibit policies and procedures
- Provide up-to-date information on Museum programs, events, and activities
- Establish and maintain an environment that provokes creative thinking and behavior amongst our visitors; encourages a mood in the museum that is playful, spontaneous, and fun which focuses on exploration and experimentation
- Facilitate individual creative play experiences and collaborations in the exhibits, and in Museum programming for children and adults by interacting with them
- Facilitate activities and assist with birthday parties
- Provide support for special event days, camps, classes, and other museum initiatives
- Ensure that all public spaces are safe and clean, including removing unsafe objects and broken props from exhibits
- Provide an environment that is physically and emotionally safe for all ages and abilities; removing obstacles to participation
- Execute opening and closing procedures
- Enforce COVID safety protocols (e.g., cleaning exhibits/high-touch areas, ensuring guests are following all safety protocols)
- Assist with creating, and appearing on-screen in, virtual educational content and social media
- Support Museum Team Lead and Executive Director on special projects where needed
Interested applicants: Please send your cover letter and resume as a Word or PDF attachment to email@example.com. Please write “Museum Floor Team” in the subject line.
Are you a student looking to fulfill community service hours? Do you love working with children or want to learn more about non-profit organizations? Reach out to us to see what volunteer opportunities we have available! Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org and reference “Volunteer Opportunities” in the subject line.
Currently Recruiting for 2023 Summer/Fall/Winter Interns:
Social Media/Marketing Intern
Program Design Intern
Exhibit Design Intern
Community Partnership Intern
Send an email to email@example.com and reference “Internship Opportunities” in the subject line.
Internships at the SCCM are unpaid positions providing students with practical experience. The Museum can offer internships to students as volunteers or for academic credit. All students must explore the possibility of earning academic credit through their schools.